Announcement for Downloading full text filePlease respect the Copyright Act.
All digital full text dissertation and theses from this website are authorized the copyright owners. These copyrighted full-text dissertation and theses can be only used for academic, research and non-commercial purposes. Users of this website can search, read, and print for personal usage. In respect of the Copyright Act of the Republic of China, please do not reproduce, distribute, change, or edit the content of these dissertations and theses without any permission. Please do not create any work based upon a pre-existing work by reproduction, Adaptation, Distribution or other means.
URN etd-0908106-150552 Statistics This thesis had been viewed 2744 times. Download 597 times. Author Ching-Hsuan Su Author's Email Address No Public. Department Industrial Design Year 2005 Semester 2 Degree Master Type of Document Master's Thesis Language Chinese&English Page Count 425 Title The Relationship Between the Learning Styles of Design Students and Their Design Thinking Keyword Design process Learning style Kolb's Learning style inventory Design thinking Design thinking Kolb's Learning style inventory Learning style Design process Abstract The purpose of this study is to research when the design students with different learning styles facing to design missions, what thinking methods they use. First, researchers use Kolb’s Learning Style Inventory to divide students into 4 kinds of learning style: Assimilating, Diverging, Coverging, Accommodating. Then, according to Kolb’s learning cycle theory, scheme 4 periods of experiments, including data collecting mission, design sketch mission 1, modeling mission, design sketch mission 2, and take a stapler as the experiment product, and ask students to carry all experiments out step by step. Finally, specifically analyze the thinking process and thought of 4 kinds learning styles students in different periods of experiments, and compare the differences of the design thinking modes in design sketch mission 1 & 2.
The main study results were summarized as below:
1. Data collecting mission: it has been found that data collection methods are carried out by all students with the help of rapid and convenient “internet”.
2. Design sketch mission 2: all students think about the same thinking process including “thinking’ & ‘watching” in the idea sketch phase. Assimilating students seldom rely on “feeling” & “doing” in designing idea sketching. Diverging students prefer to “feeling” & “watching” much more frequently than students with other learning styles. Converging students prefer to take any kinds of chunks, so there are no noticeable differences in their thought. Accommodating students prefer to “feeling” much more frequently than students with other learning styles.
3. Modeling mission: students mostly amend their design ideas and produce image models in stage 2: during the image model production process, and they prefer to “thinking” & “feeling”.
4. Design sketch mission 2: there are a little students carrying new ideas out in all types of learning styles, but almost Assimilating students carry new ideas out. Diverging students use “watching” in design idea sketch, not “thinking”. Some Converging students use “feeling”. Accommodating students do not use “feeling” at all.
5. Compare thinking process in design sketch mission 1 & 2: Accommodating students show added “watching” and “doing” relationships as compared to design sketch mission 2 design thinking process. Diverging students do not really take “actual experience” into consideration during mission 4 design thinking process. Converging students take out the “feeling”, “watching”, “feeling” and “doing” processes during the second design sketch mission. Accommodating students do not use individual actual experiences in their design ideas at all, so the “feeling” process is not available.
Advisor Committee Wen-Dih Yeh - advisor
Yung-Chin Tsao - advisor
Files Date of Defense 2006-07-27 Date of Submission 2006-09-08